The life of those who dwell in the secret place of the Most High may be called a Hidden Life, because the animating principle, the vital or operative element, is not so much in itself as in another. It is a life grafted into another life. It is the life of the soul, incorporated into the life of Christ; and in such a way, that, while it has a distinct vitality, it has so very much in the sense, in which the branch of a tree may be said to have a distinct vitality from the root.

Friday, September 19, 2014

When First I Started on My Way

When first I started on my way,
I thought my love would ne'er decline.
My Savior often heard me say,
"I live for Thee." "I'm wholly thine."

But sudden, in the strife and press
Of cares around my path that came,
I found affection growing less;
Alive, but with a weaker flame.

Starting I wept, but heard at length,
A voice within which seemed to say,
In Him thou lovest there is strength
For those whose feet have gone astray.

Dear Savior! Turn me from the chase
Of worldly aims, of worldly bliss;
And let me see once more the face,
Which once made all my happiness.

American Cottage Life (1850).

No comments:

Post a Comment