The life of those who dwell in the secret place of the Most High may be called a Hidden Life, because the animating principle, the vital or operative element, is not so much in itself as in another. It is a life grafted into another life. It is the life of the soul, incorporated into the life of Christ; and in such a way, that, while it has a distinct vitality, it has so very much in the sense, in which the branch of a tree may be said to have a distinct vitality from the root.

Monday, August 10, 2015

No Separation

Oh, can I leave Thee! Can I go
Back  to the world that once was nigh?
And so debase me, as to know
The joys that only bloom to die?

Oh, can I quit celestial good,
The growth of life's immortal tree,
And feed, instead of Angel's food,
On earth's poor dust and vanity?

I sought Thee, that my soul might stay
In  endless unity of mind;
And dare not, cannot rend away
The golden links my heart that bind.

If others blindly choose to roam,
And find the path of tears and gloom;
Be  MINE, in God's great heart, the home,
Where peace, and joy, and glory bloom.

Christ in the Soul (1872) XXXVI.



No comments:

Post a Comment